Monday, April 20, 2009

Thoughts about eating

...to the point of sickness.

Trust me guys, this is not a good idea. I have just had first hand experience. So, here is the story. I went to Vegas this weekend and on Sunday, my family had the traditional hotel buffet before leaving; this time was Mandalay Bay's Bayside Buffet.

The food selection was pretty good. Prime rib, pork loin, ham, and turkey at the carving stations. There were omelets being made to order, scrambled eggs, bacon, chicken fried steak, breakfast sausage, eggs benedict, oatmeal, cream of wheat, fruits , little boxed cereals, and other non-traditional breakfast foods. There were some Asian inspired foods as well along with seafood (shrimp cocktail, scallops, mussels, crab legs, salmon, etc.) and a small salad bar. And of course, what would a buffet be without the dessert area.

Sounds like a pretty good food spread right? Well, I thought so too, but obviously my stomach would beg to differ. Okay, so here is what I ate. READY?

- 1.5 slices of prime rib (mine and my sister's. It was salty, but I was not about to waste it)
- 2 pieces of skirt steak and asparagus
- piece of baked salmon
- 1 chicken fried steak
- piece of stuffed baked bass
- 8 crab leg halves
- 1 plate of shrimp cocktail
Some of the crab and shrimp cocktail I ate

- 12 pieces of pan seared scallop
Me eating a scallop

- 1/4 bowl of oatmeal with blueberries
- 1/2 bowl blueberries
- 3 pieces of pineapple
OH SO SWEET fruit

- 5 pieces of rolls
- eggs benedict
- 1 breakfast sausage link (tasted like the kielbasa links that they sell in the Chinese BBQ places)
Starting to feel sick with that sausage...

- sampling of desserts
Chocolate cake, coconut cream pie, lemon meringue, and cheesecake

Carrot Cake

Expresso cake

another chocolate cake

Black Forest cake

*4 plates in total, not including the dessert

OKAY, so here is the thing. Even with all of that...I HAVE NEVER EVER FELT THAT SICK IN MY LIFE (next to having food poisoning). And I couldn't really figure out WHY I felt THAT full. Obviously I felt that bad because I must have overeaten, but still. I have NEVER felt like that even with overeating. And then it dawned on me (seriously it was like an epiphany)...IT WAS ALL MEAT (minus the asparagus). OMG I have never eaten that much meat in one sitting in my life (and I would have eaten some salad, but seriously, there was just no more room). And there I was eating it all and feeling really amazingly sick. I felt bloated and the sight of food made me feel like vomiting. Walking was painful, breathing was painful, sitting was painful. It was a lose-lose situation all around and all that was running through my mind was "OMG I am going to die" and "Oh man I think I am really going to vomit. I can't vomit here. There are too many people...wait, I think I am okay...OH NO, no I am not okay..." That was a first (and last time) experience for me. It was probably the worst 1.5 hours after a meal in my life.

So lesson learned: never eat that much meat in one sitting unless you want to pay for it later...or was it not to eat that much food in one sitting...which was it...

Me feeling incredibly sick

Well anyway, I am all right now. Alive and kicking and eating my lunch as I recall the horribleness of yesterday. Did I vomit? Well, I will keep that to myself. Just let it be said that it was a shameful life experience for myself that I never want to relive.



1 comment:

  1. I have benn in that buffet and ended the same way, visit my blog
    www.mechrafael.blogspot.com
    Hope you like it

    ReplyDelete