Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nikka's Specialized Sweet Dilis

Alright, so today I will be talking about this snack here:

Nikka's Specialized Sweet Dilis. I have been searching online to find out what these are, but I have not really found anything, so everything I will say is totally a guess and of course my own opinion, but if you know anything about this snack, please enlighten me.

Name: Sweet Dilis

What is it?: Filipino corn nuts

Looks like a corn nut right?

How did I get this?: A souvenir from my mom's coworker when she went back to the Philippines.

What is in it?: Anchovies (dilis), salt, and fried corn.

Taste and Texture: Slightly salted puffed corn snack, but I don't taste that anchovy fishy taste. It is a lot lighter than corn nuts, but just as crisp. The after taste is somewhat garlicky and it has that fried corn taste. It is not like the fritos or corn nuts after taste, but corn nonetheless.

Overall: It is an interesting snack, but I cannot tell if I really like it. I can eat it, but I wouldn't be sad if there was no more. This might be partially because it seems to get stale fairly quickly due to the heat and the fact that whoever ate it last, did not seal it well. The other part is that I guess I am not that fond of corn snacks. I like corn nuts and fritos, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them unless I have a really strange craving for them. I never cared for that corn breath that one gets after eating corn snacks either. I do like the light texture of this snack more than corn nuts though. Corn nuts sometimes feel like it will break a tooth, but this snack is more puff like.

A handful of sweet dilis - look at the puff

In all, it is worth trying if you like corn snacks or if you want to try something somewhat new, but still familiar. This is the first real Filipino snack I have had, other than dried mangoes, so that is a plus for me.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like...corn pops :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say it looks more like SMACKS cereal...you know, the one with the frog.

    ReplyDelete