Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Takoyaki and Noodle Square

So, after going to Irvine this past weekend and buying a takoyaki tofu plushie, I was really wanting to eat some takoyaki.

Me and my takoyaki tofu

If you don't know what takoyaki is, then here is a brief description.

Meaning: Tako - octopus
Yaki - grilled/fried

Therefore, takoyaki is a fried or baked octopus ball.

Originated from: Osaka.

Description: It is a "Japanese dumpling" that is made of batter, diced octopus (or a while baby), tenkasu (tempura scraps), pickled ginger, and green onions. It is topped with okonomiyaki sauce, aonori (green laver), mayonnaise, and katsubushi/bonito flakes (dried fish shavings).


How it is made: Takoyaki-nabe (takoyaki pan) is typically made of cast iron with half-spherical molds, which evenly heats the takoyaki. Commercial gas-fueled takoyaki cookers are used at Japanese festivals and by street vendors. There are electrical ones that resemble hot plates and stove top versions that are used for home use. Watch "Cooking with Dog" for a demonstration. Despite watching that video so many times, I have yet to use my takoyaki-nabe and make this at home.

So, last night I went to Noodle Square in Alhambra with my sister. It is a decently priced ramen place and the Japanese family that runs the place shares the space with the Quickly owner, so it looks like you are eating at quickly, but you aren't.

The restaurant is in the Quickly

So, I got the Spicy Ramen with pork, a coconut milk tea, and an order of takoyaki.

Ramen: I think that the spicy ramen is one of the best flavors here, but that is because I like spicy things and the little fresh red peppers are delicious. This is not uber spicy (and I asked for extra spicy plus shichimi flakes), but if you cannot eat spicy things, then be warned.

Looks really red, butI didn't think it was that hot AND I added shichimi flakes to it...

Tea: Quickly's coconut milk tea was good, but it is a little powdery, but for $2, I am not complaining, especially when you are craving something sweet and fast.

Takoyaki: Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside and piping hot. So hot I burned my mouth. The tako was chewy, but mixed with the laver, mayo, and bonito it was very tasty. I really like the bonito...

YUM!

Other places you can get takoyaki:

Genki Living
651 W Duarte Rd., Ste. C
Arcadia, CA 91007

Large takoyaki (4 in an order). The batter has cabbage in it.

THAT IS ONE PIECE!

They also serve crepes. This is the Tiramisu crepe.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha...spicy. yeah I was confused looking for noodle square last time. I assumed it was NEXT to quickly, but realized it was inside. Then saw that it was closed on Sundays. LAME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo that is right! it is closed Sunday's! I totally forgot about that. What did you end up eating?

    ReplyDelete