Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sushi Club - Calgary, Alberta


Okay, so when I went to Calgary, my friends aunt and uncle took us to the Sushi Club. It is a pretty small place, but the atmosphere was pretty nice. If you are looking for bentos, this is NOT the place for you. They only had rolls, specialty rolls, and little sides. And now, for the good part...THE FOOD!

Appetizers

Edamame - look at the salt!
Shrimp Tempura
Oh my, a funny story goes with this dish. There was a piece of fish tempura and my friend asked if anyone wanted some. I was GOING to say, "I will take a piece" and through my slurred speech became, "I'll take a piss." Needless to say, I got laughed at and to add salt on the wounds, she pointed and said, "the bathroom's THAT way."

Chicken Gyoza
I did not care for these dumplings. The meat was really mushed together and soft...almost like a paste. The skin was good though.

Rolls

Crunchy Calamari Jalapeno Roll
The squid was nicely fried, but I thought it was a little chewy. It was garnished with dill, which I thought added a nice fresh taste, but my friend is anti-dill and did not like it.

Starting from the top, then left to right:
Unagi avocado roll (eel and avocado roll)
Sunkist Roll (smoked salmon, another smoked fish inside, unagi, avocado, and lemon; roe omitted) - very nice pairing with with smoked fish and a thin slice of lemon
Cajun peppered prawn - prawn mixed with mayonnaise, but not overwhelmingly mayonnaisy
Negitoro California roll

A closer look at the Sunkist Roll

Starting from top to bottom:
Mango roll
tempura roll topped with mango. My only thought was that there was too much roe.
Spider roll
Soft shell crap fried very nicely. It was very light, but there was too much roe roe-ling around in my mouth (added the pun for my friend).


And to finish off the meal...

Dessert

Mango and Green Tea Gelato
The mango was kind of like a sorbet. The green tea had a really faint green tea taste. I wished that it was stronger.

Overall, this place was really nice and the food was good and it looked so pretty.

SUSHI CLUB
#103
1240 Kensington rd
N.W, Calgary, AB T2N 3P7
Tel: (403) 283-4100

2 comments: