Thursday, March 18, 2010

Denver Eats - Charlie Brown's Bar and Grille

So, I am very backlogged with blogging and I am determined to get all of my Denver eats out of the way by next week, but we will see how that goes.

Day 1 in Denver and our late night pick was...

I forgot to take a picture of the place, but luckily I found one online XD Hopefully this is the same place attached to the Colburn Hotel

Charlie Brown's Bar and Grille
980 Grant St.
Denver, CO 80203
(303) 860-1655

We chose to eat here because it was the closest to the Burnsley All-Suite Hotel, where we were staying, and supposedly they had really good fried zucchini.

So we get there and the place is pretty busy. A typical semi late-night bar scene. The one thing that really got to me was how dim it was in there. I found it a bit difficult to see and it was really noticeable when I was taking pictures of the food because all you could see was this big bright flash. It was unwanted attention and then the waiter came back and asked why I was taking pictures of the food...DARN IT! And here I was hoping to escape unnoticed.

The food:

Starters: fried mushrooms, fried zucchini, and calamari, which I sadly forgot to take pictures of. They looked like typical fried foods. Though I am really sad that I did not take a picture. I must have been really hungry at that moment in time...really REALLY hungry.

Meals:

I will start with my friend's grilled ham and cheese with potato salad.

Grilled ham and cheese with potato salad

She seemed to enjoy the sandwich, but she did not care for the potato salad because it had a very noticeable mustard taste, which I am fine with, but if you dislike mustard as much as she does, then maybe this salad is not for you.

Next, the Mediterranean/Greek Salad served with pita and tzatziki.

Mediterranean/Greek Salad with an egg...

Okay, so the first out of place thing that you might notice is the egg. I have never seen a Greek/Mediterranean Salad served with an egg. It reminds me of the scene in "The Birdcage" when Robin Williams serves the soup that Hank Azaria's character (Agadore Spartacus) makes to cover up the bowls with the "little Greek boys" and he starts talking about the juevos in the soup. It just seems out of place just like the egg in this salad, but I digress...

When eating the salad, the taste of the vinaigrette overwhelms your taste buds because all you can taste is the sourness of the vinegar and nothing else. Now, I have to say, I really love vinegar and usually the sour taste does not bother me, but this was really strong, even for me. My friend's think it might be due to the altitude difference because people in Canada also like things vinegary. I am not sure what the reason is, but I know that this salad was a very difficult to eat.

Pita bread and yogurt dip

And now, to the side. Pita bread and Tzatziki dip. The pita was pretty soft and fluffy and was almost the same texture as naan bread. The tzatziki dip was mostly just yogurt with little or no cucumbers. It was okay, but I did like the bread.

Onto my dish! A regular hamburger with sauteed mushroooms and swill cheese, served with a side of onion rings.

Mushroom Swiss Cheese Burger with Onion Rings

I have to say, I was expecting my burger to be kind of dry, but it was pretty juicy and greasy and delicious. I topped it off with all those veggies, but was sad to find out I had eaten the last bit of my onion a little more than half way into my burger. Luckily, my other friend did not touch his onions and gave them to me. Oh happy day! The onion rings were really good too, but that is just my opinion. I really love onion rings, but I hardly get to eat them, so when I do, they are almost always delicious...except for those horrible Burger King ones I had ordered one time because I was craving them...those were sadly disgusting.

And lastly, a buffalo burger with bacon and guacamole...

Buffalo Burger with Bacon and Guacamole

It looked like mine but there was that smell of bacon was coming from it. I want to say my friend said it was a little dry, being buffalo is a pretty lean meat, but I can't really remember. I mean he ate it all so it must have been decent at least, right?

Overall, the food was pretty good and the atmosphere was pretty neat if you are into the whole bar scene. I have to say this is better than the usual bar food though.

No comments:

Post a Comment